The following safety information should be carefully digested by any mariner operating in the vicinity of the Wave Hub offshore site or subsea cable:
- Four exposed subsea cable tails have been installed across the charted offshore site (KP chart and RPLs attached). The cable tails are stabilised against current and wave action and supported where free-spans occur with rock bags but are not otherwise protected from anchors or fishing gear.
- Due to varying sediment depths, the Wave Hub main subsea cable remains exposed in places in St Ives Bay. From KP 1.9 to KP 8.1 the subsea cable is in parts exposed or carries a high risk of exposure (KP chart and RPL attached). From the shore to KP1.9 the subsea power cable is buried and from KP 8.1 to the Wave Hub (KP 25) the subsea cable is covered by a continuous rock berm (0.3m depth of cover).
Cable exposure limits (Wave Hub main subsea cable):
Mariners are reminded to exercise caution when navigating in the vicinity and are advised not to anchor or fish within the Wave Hub offshore site (as defined by the four special marks and charted as ‘Renewable Energy Development Area’) or in proximity to the main subsea cable.
- Subsea Cable KP Chart (available for download below)
- Cable Tails KP Chart (available for download below)
- Cable Route Position Lists (RPLs) are presented in the Wave Hub Asset Location Safety Database (available for download below)
- Wave Hub Offshore Cable System Schematic (available for download below)
- The Wave Hub subsea cable is charted on UKHO Admiralty Charts of the area as a ‘Submarine Power Cable’ with the safety warning that ‘Mariners are advised not to anchor or trawl in the vicinity of submarine cables’.
- The offshore site is charted on UKHO Admiralty Charts of the area as ‘Renewable Energy Development Area’ with the safety warning that ‘Mariners should exercise caution when navigating in the vicinity’.
- As of April 2015 the Wave Hub offshore site and cable system has been included in the Kingfisher Awareness Charts and plotter updates for fishermen.
- The Wave Hub Notice to Mariners page will hold the latest safety information for mariners operating nearby and should be checked regularly.